Historical Photo Archives
Take the journey to see how CCI started and how we progressed throughout the years.
Read story of how it all began
In July 2016, Consolidated Communications acquired Champaign Telephone Company (CTC), a private business communications provider in the Champaign-Urbana, Ill. area. Read more about this acquisition.
Consolidated Communications launches and expands its business cloud services to Sacramento, Calif. and Dallas metropolitan areas. Consolidated’s Cloud Services include Unified Communications, Cloud Compute, Data Protection and Cloud Wifi. Learn more at consolidated.com/cloud.
In October 2014, Consolidated Communications completed a merger with Enventis Corporation, adding operations in Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin and the Dakotas. Read more about merger.
Consolidated Communications acquired California-based SureWest and added approximately 267,000 residential connections and 16,000 business subscribers, extending the company's reach to Roseville and Sacramento, California and Kansas City.
Consolidated Communications acquired the North Pittsburgh Systems Inc. companies and added 144,100 total subscribers in Allegheny, Armstrong, Butler and Westmoreland counties.
Consolidated Communications priced its initial public offering of common stock and began trading on the NASDAQ under the ticker symbol CNSL.
The first acquisition for Consolidated Communications following its return to local ownership added almost 170,000 access lines in southeast Texas in the communities of Conroe, Lufkin and Katy.
Investment group led by ICTC Chairman and President Richard A. Lumpkin returned the company to local ownership and the Consolidated Communications name.
The merger between the corporations created a super-regional competitive local exchange company based in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
In conjunction with members of the internet and intellectual property rights communities, the Federal Networking Council (FNC) defines the term “Internet”.
BellSouth was the first company to deploy caller ID in December 1988.
On September 4, 1994, ICTC marked its centennial and proudly celebrated a century of service to east central Illinois.
The new holding company established a series of subsidiaries providing a range of telecommunications products and services from telephone directory publishing and business systems to telemarketing and mobile/cellular service.
Martin Cooper made the first cell phone call ever with a phone that weighed 1.75 pounds, had 30 minutes of talk time and retailed for $3,995.
First subscriber Touch-Tone service using push-button telephones that replaced rotary dial models.
Over the three and a half decades, ICTC grew along with the communities it served by acquiring several exchanges including: Arcola, Arthur, Atwood, Mt. Auburn, Gays, Windsor, Effingham, Mode, Sigel, Strasburg, Westervelt, Bruce and Hindsboro.
On January 7, 1927, the first official transatlantic telephone call is made when W. S. Gifford, president of the American Telephone & Telegraph Company, calls Sir Evelyn P. Murray, secretary of the General Post Office of Great Britain, on the new commercial circuit.
Shelby County Telephone Company consolidated with the Coles County system to form Illinois Southeastern Telephone Company.
Coles County Telephone and Telegraph Company acquired the telephone properties of Christian County Telephone Company, Montgomery County Telephone Company and Litchfield Telephone Company operating a total of one exchange including the cities of Taylorville, Hillsoboro, Pana, Nokomis and Litchfield, and united them under the title of Illinois Consolidated Telephone Company. In 1935, ICTC and Illinois Southeastern Telephone Company also merged under the Illinois Consolidated Telephone Company name.
In 1897, a separate company was formed to build toll lines and country lines between Mattoon and surrounding towns. In 1906, The company absorbed the Mattoon Telephone Company and the Charleston Telephone and Electric Company, becoming simply the Coles County Telephone and Telegraph Company.
On April 20, 1895, the company had 123 subscribers and growth was rapid from the outset. By 1897 there were nearly 300 subscribers.
On August 10, 1894, Mattoon Telephone Company was incorporated, with Dr. Iverson A. Lumpkin serving as the first president, and his son, Dr. William C. Lumpkin serving as treasurer. On September 4, 1894, the City of Mattoon passed an ordinance granting the new company the right to operate.
Read more about how it all started and the Lumpkin family.
This occured on March 10, 1876 and while Bell received the patent for a telephone, there is much debate about whether he was the phone's true inventor.